Monday, January 05, 2009

Roland Burris at the Overlook?

Really, someone should stop Roland Burris before he gets any closer to where this is sure to lead. Someone ought to explain to him that it'll take years to piece the wreckage of his career together just to figure out which mistake was the fatal one. Someone, please remind him that Pres.-Elect Obama has enough to ... oh forget it.

After hearing Burris interact with the press today it's obvious that he's been to the political equivalent of the bar at the Overlook Hotel, and is now determined to get into the US Senate even if he has to huff and puff and blow their house in.

Note to Congressional Fire Marshall: Hide the fire axes.

What else are we to make of Burris calling himself the junior senator from Illinois, or, more importantly, what shall American citizens glean from his seeming bewilderment at why anyone would question his appointment?

"Why don't you all understand?" he said today. "I am the junior senator from Illinois, and I wish my colleagues and the press would recognize that."

Roland! Read a newspaper!

After eight years of watching a US president who expressed nothing but disdain for the press (and little interest in the written word), we have no tolerance for the whole what-me-worry schtick ... I hope.

— TJ Sullivan in LA

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are appreciated, especially those that inspire spirited-but-courteous discussions. Your comment will be reviewed before it is posted on the site.

Anonymous comments are not permitted. I put my name on what I say here, so I hope you don't mind doing so as well.