Sunday, December 14, 2008

Holidays In LA: Fresh Powder at Bob's


Photosby TJ Sullivan



I was at The Grove shopping center this morning, that fake downtown streetscape that Rick Caruso built adjacent the Los Angeles Farmers Market on West 3rd Street.

Love the Farmers Market, but The Grove?

There's not much there for me, though I must admit that, this time of year, the fake snowstorms are fairly cool. The flakes aren't real. They're some sort of synthetic liquid. But, they look authentic enough to fool cameras, and maybe your inner child, if you're in the right mood.

The truth of it is it's the snowy powdered sugar atop the beignets at nearby Bob's Donuts that puts me in the holiday spirit, and I suspect a few other Los Angelenos as well considering the always-steady stream of customers at the counter. Now, if there was only some way to get The Grove to drop powdered donuts from its rooftops every evening beginning at 7 p.m. and 8 p.m., until Dec. 31 ... Something like that might actually change my mind about the place.

— TJ Sullivan in LA

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are appreciated, especially those that inspire spirited-but-courteous discussions. Your comment will be reviewed before it is posted on the site.

Anonymous comments are not permitted. I put my name on what I say here, so I hope you don't mind doing so as well.