Saturday, August 05, 2006

Dolphins at Venice Beach

Spotted these dolphins this morning at about 7:30 as they played in the big waves off Venice Beach. There were more than a dozen of them swimming between the Santa Monica Pier and the Venice Promenade. One of the regular morning beach walkers told me she's seem them out there all week.

As the sand became more populated after 8:30 a.m. many people began to notice what I was shooting at and remarked with gasps and shrieks (OK, so only the teenage girls shrieked, but then, they also shrieked at seashells, seaweed and seagulls).

It reminded me of the first time I saw dolphins from the beach. It was not long after I moved to California in the mid '90s. I thought it was something rare, a sign of something wrong, or something right. I told the city desk the moment I got into the office, to which their reply was something like "You've been living in the desert for the past 8 years, haven't you?"

I had.

I soon realized that dolphins here are like coyotes there. You see them from time to time. You delight in it enough to stop whatever you're doing. And, if you're lucky enough to have your camera with you, you might capture a photo like this one.


— T.J. Sullivan

1 comment:

All comments are appreciated, especially those that inspire spirited-but-courteous discussions. Your comment will be reviewed before it is posted on the site.

Anonymous comments are not permitted. I put my name on what I say here, so I hope you don't mind doing so as well.