Monday, October 20, 2008

Shame On Rep. Michele Bachmann

The charges of anti-Americanism levied by US Congresswoman Michele Bachmann this past Friday on Chris Matthews' program Hardball exemplified the sort of ignorance that intelligent people usually turn away from with a polite laugh when it's articulated by a casual acquaintance, or a stranger on the street.

However, because something so utterly ridiculous was stated by a member of United States Congress who is now trying to deny she said it [despite the fact it's on video tape] demands that she be called upon to make a public apology.

McCarthyism was an embarrassment we need not repeat again.

Here's a partial transcript of what she said:
CHRIS MATTHEWS: So this is a character issue. You believe that Barack Obama may -- you're suspicious because of this relationship -- may have anti-American views. Otherwise, it's probably irrelevant to this discussion.

REP. MICHELLE BACHMANN, R-MINN.: Absolutely. I absolutely...

MATTHEWS: Do you believe that... Barack Obama may have anti-American views?

BACHMANN: Absolutely. I'm very concerned that he may have anti- American views. That's what the American people are concerned about. That's why they want to know what his answers are. That's why Joe the plumber has figured so highly in had the last few days...

MATTHEWS: OK. I just want to get off this...

BACHMANN: What I would say is that the news media should do a penetrating expose and take a look. I wish they would. I wish the American media would take a great look at the views of the people in Congress and find out, are they pro-America or anti-America? I think people would love to see an expose like that.

Bachmann's defense: "I did not suggest the word 'anti-American," she told KMSP-TV (as reported by the Minneapolis Star Tribune). She says Matthews put the word "anti-American" into her mouth ... which she promptly followed with both her feet.


Click to e-mail TJ Sullivan in LA

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are appreciated, especially those that inspire spirited-but-courteous discussions. Your comment will be reviewed before it is posted on the site.

Anonymous comments are not permitted. I put my name on what I say here, so I hope you don't mind doing so as well.