Tuesday, May 06, 2008

LAO: Fighting Signs with Signs


My latest post from LA Observed's Native Intelligence:
No stopping …
No Parking …
Loading Only …
Street Cleaning …
Permits Exempt …
Sundays and Holidays Exempt …
Anti-Gridlock Zone …

Los Angelenos learn the meaning of these terms the way most people acquire knowledge, by paying tuition, albeit in the form of parking citations and fines. Those who say we in LA don't read have obviously never parallel parked on our streets, where we not only read, but debate the subtext and hidden meanings intended by the author. Is "stopping" the same as parking, or something permanent? Is "Flag Day" a holiday? What exactly qualifies as "loading?" And, can Hondas park wherever in Beverly HIlls, or is that particular privilege afforded only to late-model Jaguars and UPS vans?

Confusing as it can be, there's now one more lesson -- a sign that regulates unregulated signage -- the course materials for which have been posted at various locations throughout the city, most recently along Olympic Boulevard on the Westside ...
Read the rest at LA Observed's Native Intelligence

Click to e-mail TJ Sullivan in LA

1 comment:

  1. Great stuff as always, TJ. For some reason, when you mentioned the myth that Los Angelenos don't read, my morning mind suddenly free-associated to the over-the-top way that Woody Allen roasted the town as a den of vulgarians in Annie Hall, through a depiction of his phobia over visiting the place. I can't even remember all the lines (but I'll bet you can). I just remember it cracked me up at the time.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are appreciated, especially those that inspire spirited-but-courteous discussions. Your comment will be reviewed before it is posted on the site.

Anonymous comments are not permitted. I put my name on what I say here, so I hope you don't mind doing so as well.