Friday, February 29, 2008

Haiku for La Brea


Los Angeles is the one you marry.

There are other places to love, but this is the one you take to dim sum in Monterey Park, invite for long walks through Los Feliz and sit beside for hours on a park bench at the end of the Santa Monica Pier.

I'm hopelessly and completely affected, never tire of listening to its stories, or hearing about its dreams and nightmares. I photograph it. I write it poems, which is why I was so amused this morning when Veronique de Turenne, at the Los Angeles Times' new LA Now blog, pointed to some simple YouTube footage of the La Brea Tar Pits, the subject of a, er, haiku I wrote to LA 11 years ago:

by t j sullivan © 1997

our planet farts here
pish, bloop, wash, piddle, fizzle
tourists take pictures


— TJ Sullivan in LA

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are appreciated, especially those that inspire spirited-but-courteous discussions. Your comment will be reviewed before it is posted on the site.

Anonymous comments are not permitted. I put my name on what I say here, so I hope you don't mind doing so as well.