Monday, October 08, 2007

'You Have A Big Head!'

I recently discovered the Overheard in New York blog and have come to consider it a brilliant demonstration of the difference between New York City and Los Angeles.

Today there was an entry with a literary tie so I thought it worth passing along. It was overheard in the Queens Library:
Little girl: "Can I have a job here?"

Clerk: "How old are you?"

Little girl: "Nine."

Clerk: "Well, you have to be at least 14 to work at the library."

Little girl: "Oh, yeah? Well, you have a big head!"


The only time I hear people talk in the library in LA is when they're shouting into a cell phone, so this one was good for a grin.

Much of the New York commentary contributed to the site is not for the faint of heart (a.k.a. people in LA who consider it an abomination to actually use a car horn), so don't blame me if you don't think it's funny. If you can't tolerate Overheard in New York then you definitely better stay out of the subway if you ever visit.

— TJ Sullivan in LA

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are appreciated, especially those that inspire spirited-but-courteous discussions. Your comment will be reviewed before it is posted on the site.

Anonymous comments are not permitted. I put my name on what I say here, so I hope you don't mind doing so as well.